Cumnor were delighted to support the An Garda Síochána and The Construction Industry Federation’s awareness campaign about taking a proactive role to crime prevention in the construction industry.
Building sites are by nature easy targets for criminals due to the types of materials, tools and machinery on site. Construction crime can involve thefts from vehicles, burglary, unauthorised taking of vehicles, criminal damage and trespassing.
The main objective of the ‘Secure It Keep It’ campaign is to create and maintain awareness both within the industry and with the general public as to the importance of site security, and the security of plant machinery, construction equipment, tools and materials.
Here are a few simple tips to help keep your site more secure:
• Set up CCTV if you are going to be on site for a prolonged period
• Good security lighting
• Fences or hoardings are effective and should be used whenever possible
• Keep the number of gates to site entrance to a minimum
• Localised temporary security alarms should be used.
• Control access to the site. Visitors must sign in and vehicle registration
• Cash should not be kept on site when possible
• Machinery should be left in a well-lit part of the site with the keys removed.
• Security locks and ground fixings are great for extra security
• Keep a record of engine numbers chassis number, vehicle ID numbers etc.
• Store your tools in a secure area.
• Mark all of your tools with a unique identification number, photograph them and
keep a record of it.
• Report all thefts and suspicious activity on sites to An Garda Síochána